Monday, April 15, 2013

To be a "normal" weight

The most I can weigh and fall into the classification of "normal" weight by BMI is 159 lbs (BMI of 24.9). I'm not sure I can do that. I'm not sure if I want to do that. I don't know if that would be a good weight for me or not. 

See, my goal weight has traditionally been 175 lbs. I am just shy of that weight by 20 lbs, and so I'm starting to think about if that is going to be a good final weight for me. Based on the fact that I'm wearing a size 16, I'm not sure that it is the right weight for me... would I be a 14 then? I'm not sure. I look at photos of myself sometimes and still see me weighing a lot. I certainly don't think, feel, or look thin. Then again, at nearly 200 lbs I wouldn't! But I have lost almost 115 lbs so it feels like I SHOULD be those things.

What size do I want to wear? I don't know. A 12 would be phenomenal. A 10... I can't even consider that. I've never pictured myself as thin. More important than my final weight is not regaining weight once I've lost it. I know that's going to be a challenge. I lost 90 lbs on weight watchers once before, and then regained it all plus some. So I know maintenance is going to be hard... but still getting to goal, whatever number or size that happens to be, is my first objective. I'm not sure I'll ever be a "normal" weight, but I'm striving to get to a place where I feel good about my weight, my body, my activity level and my energy. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi, new follower. :-)

    Hard questions, and I respect your thought process. I maintained about 10-15 over my BMI goal for a long time and always felt like I was striving to lose those pounds and failing at hitting goal, but in hindsight, I exercised an hour a day and probably the muscle really was a factor. Maybe that is my goal range? I hope when I get closer to goal this time I'll be open to considering more than "just" the BMI chart. I also know since I've gone to "the extent" of having surgery now, it will be tempting to me to want to get in that "magic range".

    Like I said, I respect that your thinking is based on "a place where I feel good about my weight, my body, my activity level and my energy". I think those are terrific ways to measure. I am lucky I like my surgeon, and she isn't too fixated on the BMI number - she has warned me some people look too gaunt there and are healthier a little higher. Because also, like you, my biggest goal is to arrive at a maintainable weight and stay there. That had a LOT to do with getting banded, for me. The help in lifetime maintenance and hopefully never being able to fall off the wagon so bad if I hit a dark time again.

    Cheri :-) http://stayinginthepink.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete