I met with a bariatric nurse. She was helpful but, of course, could not tell me which surgery to do- gastric or lapband. I had thought when I started this process that I would absolutely do lapband. Now I am considering gastric.
This is such a hard process for me. I know where I want to go, the reasons to get the surgery. I know that I want it. But it is so hard to chose.
- I know I can lose all the weight with lapband, but people often are able to get there a lot quicker with gastric.
- It kinda weirds me out about having the lapband in me forever.
- Fills require driving, time, tolls, gas, and co-pays. I have no idea how many I will need.
- My skin will not adjust better to one form of weight loss (I thought slower might help things spring back better... ha... not so much...).
- I've read some blogs that make me think that some people get a little weird with lapband... almost like it becomes an eating disorder. I am not judging, I just want to not go down that path myself.
- Most people lose more weight with gastric
- Weight comes off faster
- Fewer follow-up visits
- No difference in skin recovery
- Seems easier. It may not be, it just seems like it is. I know the recovery is harder and such, but it seems like ... you get the right restriction from day 1 and then the mal-absorption feature for the first 18 months cuts out 1/3 of calories... it seems easier. I could be wrong. But ultimately, I want this to be easier.
- Slower weight-loss so fewer people will know (at this point, I'm not all about sharing this with the world. I may feel differently later on but I am where I am right now).
- Regular contact with the bariatric center can improve long term success.
- Can eat more foods without dumping syndrome.
- No dumping syndrome.
- Can eat larger quantities of food in general.
And so I consider....................